OVERVIEW: Merit Badges are the second main area of the Boy Scout advancement program. Unlike ranks, there is a degree of choice in the merit badge program. A sub-group of merit badges are known as Eagle required merit badges. To earn Eagle Scout, most of these badges must be earned although some are "either/or" badges. The remainder of the badges help with earning ranks as well as Eagle Palms after the Eagle Scout award has been earned.
THE BLUE CARD: The Blue Card (traditional style) is an application for the award in which the scout and counselor are able to record completed requirements. Once all merit badge requirements are met there are 3 individual sections that provide a record for the counselor, the scout, and the council. The online Merit Badge Application is an Adobe (.pdf) file with instructions on how to fill it out.
- Determine what Merit Badge you want to work on
- Look up the requirements to determine what you need to do to earn the Merit Badge. Open up the requirements document for the selected merit badge at MeritBadge.org
- Bold Text in the table denotes Eagle-required Merit Badge
- Talk to the Scoutmaster or Merit Badge Coordinator to Request a Blue Card or Counselor
- If there is no counselor available, the Merit Badge Coordinator will help find one
- Contact the Merit Badge Counselor to make arrangements to work on the Merit Badge